Saturday, December 28, 2013

Meet the artist #43

You can still see SCBWI WWA art at the Washington State Convention Center through Jan. 8, or check out the art and artists online here.
 

Obidinah Heavner

Why did you choose to submit this art?
I chose this for the drama! the intrigue! and the first turning point in the story “Ocho Loved Flowers.” It is also suggestive of a well-known theme in children’s lives. What is under the bed?  Come to think of it, it's probably a lifelong theme.

What does being part of SCBWI mean to you?
SCBWI means a few things to me, such as I feel I’m really part of a family full of quirky, good-hearted, creative people who have a special understanding of childhood and children. It is also a reliable source I can to go to for professionalism and the business of publishing.

What is your favorite picture book from childhood?
A Child’s Garden of Verses. I still remember “The gingham dog and the calico cat, side by side at the table sat….” Also Blueberries for Sal, in which I could almost smell the salty sea air and feel the cold and wind of being on the water, even though I was living in Colorado at the time. Oh! and The Make It Book. It had a project on one or two pages and my sister and I did sooooo many of them.

Fun fact: Obidinah began working in Norway. Learn more, and see more images, on STQRY here.

No comments: