Monday, December 16, 2013

Meet the artist #25

Okay, maybe you blew it. Maybe you missed our awesome Winter Celebration. Fear not! Whether you joined the fun or not, you can still see the art through Jan. 8, and you can still read our mini-profiles of many featured SCBWI WWA artists. Or check them ALL out online here.
 

Andrea Lawson

Why did you choose to submit this art?
"Air Travel" is one of my newer pictures. I love drawing critters flying around. Flying is one of my themes. I have  done several other pieces, including "Ways of Flying" and "The Wing Store." It's probably because I wish I could fly — I could get to the SCBWI meetings a lot quicker than I do with all that driving and ferrying from the Olympic Peninsula!.

What does being part of SCBWI mean to you?
All I can say is that I love SCBWI. I have learned so much about craft and publishing since I joined. But the real and main reason is that I love the wonderful, fun people. I have found my element. Where else can you go to a meeting and sit with fellow members wearing bear, pirate, and space suits? Definitely it's the fashion-conscious members.

What is your favorite picture book from childhood?
That is a hard question, as I have so many favorites. I'll Be You and You Be Me, by Ruth Krauss, illustrated by Maurice Sendak. And The Golden Bunny and Other Stories by Margaret Wise Brown, illustrated by Leonard Weisgard.

Fun fact: Andrea's paintings and prints are in a collection in Denmark, among others! Learn more, and see more images, on STQRY here.

*excluding only those lazy bones or privacy freaks who don't answer our email questions, of course. We love them anyway.

No comments: