Thursday, December 12, 2013

Meet the artist #20

Our Dec. 12 Winter Celebration is TODAY! (More info and registration here.) Get ready for the fun with more mini-profiles of the SCBWI-WWA artists featured at that event at the Washington State Convention Center. Or check them ALL out online here. See you tonight!

Dana Sullivan

Why did you choose to submit your particular piece of art?
My picture is from the book dummy of Kay Kay's Alphabet Safari, which I should be working on right this minute, because all the final art is due in February. It's still in the sketching and getting-approval-from-the-art-director stage, so I'm starting to sweat. When rock-star illustrator Sophie Blackall critiqued this image at our conference last April, she said Kay Kay's elbows were "too nipply," which only made me like the image more.

What does SCBWI mean to you?
Pretty much everything having to do with getting published I can thank SCBWI for. The organization has taught me so much, thrust me into the company of such an accomplished and generous group of people, and introduced me to my beloved agent, Anna Olswanger. And there will be cookies at the December Winter Celebration, so it just keeps on giving.

What is your favorite picture book from childhood?
One of my favorite childhood book collections was The Nutshell Library, by Maurice Sendak. It was this incredibly cute little box with four small books inside: One Was Johnny, Alligators All Around, Pierre, and Chicken Soup With Rice. They were like a secret shelf of books I could take with me and read wherever I was. Reading once, reading twice, reading chicken soup with rice!

Fun fact: Dana, aka D2 in our region, grew up with one of those gender-switching names, and it has permanently affected his sense of humor. Learn more, and see more images, on STQRY here.

*excluding only those lazy bones or privacy freaks who don't answer our email questions, of course. We love them anyway.

No comments: