Monday, December 9, 2013

Meet the artist #13

Our Dec. 12 Winter Celebration is just days away! (More info and registration here.) Get ready for the fun with more mini-profiles of the SCBWI-WWA artists featured at that event at the Washington State Convention Center. Or check them ALL out online here. See you on Thursday evening!

Jessixa Bagley

Why did you choose to submit your particular piece of art?
I feel like my image of my little beaver on his log pile exactly reflects my style and my sensibilities as an illustrator and storyteller. Plus, I LOVE the idea of taking a break for lunch!

What does being part of SCBWI mean to you?
SCBWI has given me a sense of community and a huge network of support that I didn't realize I needed until I joined. Now I can't imagine not bring a part of the group. I owe all of my growth and successes to the opportunities and connections I've made through SCBWI. I know I wouldn't be where I am now if I was still trying to go it alone.

What is your favorite picture book from childhood?
Impossible question. Of course I have too many favorite books to name! But I can name a short list: Strega Nona by Tomie dePaola tops the list. All the Richard Scarry and Beatrix Potter books were fixtures growing up, and totally shaped me as an artist. Another favorite picture book is Christina Katerina and the Box by Patrica Lee Gauch.

Fun fact: Jessixa lives in a house that, she says, is made partly of fake food. Learn more, and see more images, on STQRY here.

*excluding only those lazy bones or privacy freaks who don't answer our email questions, of course. We love them anyway.

No comments: