Saturday, December 21, 2013

Meet the artist #35

You can still see SCBWI WWA art at the Washington State Convention Center through Jan. 8, or check out the art and artists online here.
 

Ariel T. Smith

Why did you choose to submit this art?
This illustration for Carroll's "The Mad Gardener's Song" represents the direction in which I want my art to continue to grow. I love drawings with a touch of the comical, strange, and mildly ominous.

What does being part of SCBWI mean to you?
SCBWI has been a tremendous source of joy, camaraderie, and inspiration. I get so much satisfaction in sharing the pursuit of children's writing/illustration with such committed artists.

What is your favorite picture book from childhood?
This question is so hard! Eloise was a great favorite––I especially loved the scene where she sawed her baby doll in half, then rushed to the hospital in an ambulance, and finished the dramatic scene with "Here's what I like to do / Make things up."

Fun fact: Ariel works in pen and digitally. Learn more, and see more images, on STQRY here.

No comments: