Thursday, November 19, 2009

Becoming more resilient: 3 steps

Here's a bit from a blog called The Irrepressible Writer, by Carol Grannick:

I like things simple and clear. Years ago, I went to a workshop about giving workshops. One thing in particular stayed with me. The presenter believed that a ”lesson” should never have more than three main points.

I really liked that, maybe because it’s true, and maybe because my own brain likes and remembers three things easily…No coincidence that I love and write picture books?

So I have three things for you, as a guideline for becoming a more resilient writer. Often when we want to change something in our lives, we jump right in, expect near-perfection, and then find ourselves stuck.

When that happens, we turn on ourselves and think, “I just can’t do it.” We feel like we’ve failed.

I hope you won’t do that in your attempt to become a more resilient writer. I hope you’ll take your time and be patient with yourself and the process of learning.

Each of the three steps below are crucial, and they’re yours to take at your own pace, in your own way. Ask for help at any point on your journey from where you are now to where you want to be.



Read the rest.

No comments: