Monday, March 1, 2010

How to lose readers and distance people

This helpful bit comes from Kiersten White's blog (her book, PARANORMALCY, is due out this September):

I think we can learn a valuable lesson as writers (and as human beings) (okay, not really, but sometimes I like to pretend like there's really broad application so that my non-writer-readers won't click away) (or I like to distract them with SHINY THINGS) (but I am fresh out of SHINY THINGS, although I have parenthesis in abundance today, apparently) from what happened with LOST. Yes, they made the right choice in limiting the season run so that there would be a definite end date they could work toward. But it is too little too late.

As a writer, I want my readers to ask questions. I want to create curiosity, intrigue. I want to learn how to spell curiosity right on the first time around. I want them to want to know what happens. But if you raise too many questions and wait too long for payoff, your audience will get frustrated and stop caring.

That's about the worst thing I can imagine in an audience. Because even if they hate you, at least they still care. For them not to care enough to finish the book?

Shudder.

Read the rest.

1 comment:

Sherry Dale Rogers said...

I agree with all of the above. I have reached my year mark for being a blogger(writer) and I have run out of things to say. I am still writing and I love my audience but I need some new stuff to keep them going. It will come, it always does, patience is a virtue, time is the enemy.