I snagged this from the SCBWI website:
The Silver Kite Peer Awards will be given annually for best book as chosen by the members of each SCBWI Regional Division beginning in 2011 for books published during the 2010 calendar year. For questions or comments regarding this information, please email SCBWI Director of Communications Aaron Hartzler at email@example.com.
· Washington/Oregon/Alaska/Idaho/Montana/Wyoming/North Dakota/South Dakota
· Nevada/Arizona/Utah/Colorado/New Mexico
· New England (Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire. Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island)
· New York
· Pennsylvania/Delaware/New Jersey/Wash DC/Virginia/West Virginia/Maryland
· Kentucky/Florida/Georgia/South Carolina/North Carolina/Alabama
· Middle East/India/Asia
· The Americas (Canada/Mexico/Central & South America)
Rules & Procedures
1. For purposes of voting, SCBWI Regions have been grouped into Divisions based on member count.
2. Books entered in the competition must be published within the previous calendar year (January 1st – December 31st.)
3. Deadline to submit title is January 31st.
4. Members enter the competition voluntarily by posting their books published in the current calendar year on their Manage Profile page at SCBWI.org, choosing the publisher from the drop-down menus and clicking the opt-in button to enter their book in the Silver Kite Competition. (If multiple books are published in the competition year, each book may be entered.)
5. Voting will open the first week in February, and take place in two rounds over six (6) weeks:
a. Round 1 voting open the first weekday of February, and close the final weekday in February.
b. The five (5) books in each SCBWI Division that receive the highest number of votes in Round 1 will move on to the second round of voting as finalists.
c. Round 2 voting will take place during the first two weeks of March, beginning the first weekday in March and closing on March 15th.
d. The book with the most votes in each SCBWI Division will be named the winner of the Silver Kite Peer Award for that division.
6. One vote per SCBWI member in each round of voting. (One vote for a book in the first round, and one vote for a book in the final round.)
7. Members may vote only within their region of residence.
8. Votes should be based on personal opinion and not influenced by campaigning of any kind. No spamming, vote campaigning, or third-party marketing/campaigning for a members’ title(s) will be tolerated. Participation in such activity is grounds for disqualification.
9. Winners will be announced on April 1st press release from SCBWI Headquarters.
Award & Publicity
1. Press release from SCBWI Headquarters will go out on April 30th each year.
2. Award will be formally announced/presented at Regional Conferences.
3. Winner receives a silver/glass kite engraved with award title and year given.
4. Winners announced on web/Twitter/press release.
5. Silver kite sticker to be displayed on book?
6. Winner gets an opportunity to present at one of their regional conferences.
7. One Silver Kite winner will be chosen at SCBWI Headquarters’ discretion to deliver a speech at SCBWI LA conference.