Monday, March 29, 2010

Heard a publishing term that leaves you flummoxed?

You might find a definition on Harold Underdown's helpful site.

Here are a few examples:

back matter--Supplementary material in the back of a book, such as a glossary, a recommended reading list, an index, or information about the book.

binding--What holds a book together. A trade hardcover binding is usually sewn and glued. A library binding is more durable, with cloth reinforcement and often a different sewing method. Paperbacks are usually bound with glue only.

bleed--Not what publishers do to artists and writers, bleed is a technical term referring to illustrations that extend off the edges of pages.

blues or bluelines--a printing, in blue only, from the final plates for a book. Usually only editors see these as a final check. If changes are needed, they have to be made to the film, which is expensive. Some publishers no longer use blues.

Read the rest.

No comments: