Sunday, April 17, 2011

Lifetime Achievement Award: Peggy King Anderson #scbwiwwa

For the first time, the Western Washington chapter of the SCBWI presented a lifetime achievement award to a member who's made a huge difference in the writing lives of our community--and huge is an understatement.

Former regional adviser Sara Easterly presented the award to the wonderful Peggy King Anderson, who has taught a huge number of writers how to tell the best stories they can.

Her students describe her as maternal, effervescent, unconditional, ebullient, and generous, among other wonderful qualities.

There is so much love for Peggy in this region. She received a standing ovation (two, actually), and when Sara asked her former students to remain standing, half the 400 people here stayed on their feet.

A number of her former students shared their memories of their time in her class, speaking about the many ways she's helped them become better both as writers and human beings.

"I'm hardly ever speechless," Peggy said. "I thought I was this time, but I'm obviously not. ... You're such a special part of my life, and it's so wonderful to look out at you and know I know almost all of you."

Congratulations, Peggy, and thank you for everything you've given us.

3 comments:

Donna Perugini said...

Peggy,
I love your 400 strong (people) recommendation! I'll be checking out your online classes.
Donna

Donna Perugini said...

Peggy,
I love your 400 strong (people) recommendation! I'll be checking out your online classes.
Donna

Janet Lee Carey said...

Congratulations!!! I was so sorry to miss it! I'm doing a standing ovation Right Now.
Can you hear me clapping???

Hooray!!