Thursday, March 24, 2011

2011 Conference Series- Faculty Q & A with Holly Black

Time for another Faculty & A with our tremendous faculty! Our next Q & A is with Keynote Speaker Holly Black. You can re-read Holly's Update conference bio, and you can also find out more information about Holly, and her work, on her website! Holly answered a few questions for our SCBWI WWA members (and I love that she answered the snack question!).

As you know, those who are in children's literature tend to have lengthy discussions on the important topic of snacks (usually a baked good). What's your favorite snack?

Coffee is my favorite snack.

Attendees are often nervous to meet you at a conference. What, if anything, makes you nervous about being part of the faculty?
Just remember that like a snake startled in the woods, I am probably more afraid of you than you are of me. Seriously, I am much more shy than I appear.

What do you like most about your job? What do you like least?
My favorite parts about being a professional novelist are (1) that I get to make up stories for a living and (2) that I get to meet and hang out with other writers. There is nothing I like better than talking about stories and craft with other novelists. The thing I like least is the uncertainty over whether people will like the new story, the new thing. I think there's an expectation that that goes away, but it never does. I still worry and fret and hope as much -- or more -- than I did at the start of my career.

I love Holly's last answer! It's nice to know that even published pros like Holly still want people to like her work! Conferences are a great way to meet others who share the same hopes, fears, and dreams that you have as a writer/illustrator! Make sure you visit the event website to get your name on the waiting list for the conference (registration is full).

No comments: