Friday, November 29, 2013

Meet the Artist #5

As part of the hoopla around our first-ever public exhibition of illustrations by SCBWI WWA artists, Update will post a mini-profile of each,* in completely random order, between now and the exhibit's closure in early January. Read about 'em here, or check them ALL out online here, or go see their work in person at the Washington State Convention Center! You can even shake their hands on Dec. 12 at our Holiday Gathering! (More info and registration here.)

Penny Holland

Why did you choose to submit your particular piece of art?
We were allowed to submit five paintings, and I was hoping that one of my illustrations for my picture book The Adoption of Boris would be selected. I submitted three from that book and then two other watercolors. I chose the turtle because it's one of my favorites, and I thought it looked like it could be in a children's book.

What does being part of SCBWI mean to you?
I've been a member of SCBWI since 1979 or 1980 (the year I first wrote The Adoption of Boris), and when I lived in the LA area I was able to attend the August conference every single year. SCBWI has been my support, my teacher, and my networking group ever since. It is what got me started writing for children, and kept me going and encouraged along the way. I've met my best friends through SCBWI-sponsored events. I just can't say enough good words about this wonderful organization.

What is your favorite picture book from childhood?
I still have on my shelf two picture books from my childhood in the 1940s. They are a soft-cover Ferdinand the Bull and a first-edition hardback of Little Black Sambo. I know that's not politically correct, but I loved the pictures in that book, and the little boy, Sambo, was a brave and wonderful hero to me.

Fun fact: Penny has published a series of eight easy-reader books, “Looking at Computers,” through Franklin Watts. Learn more, and see more images, on STQRY here.

*excluding only those lazy bones or privacy freaks who don't answer our email questions, of course. We love them anyway.

No comments: