Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Meet the Artist #1

As part of the hoopla around our first-ever public exhibition of illustrations by SCBWI WWA artists, Update will post a mini-profile of each* between now and the exhibit's closure in early January. Read about 'em here, or check them ALL out online here, or go see their work in person at the Washington State Convention Center! You can even shake their hands on Dec. 12 at our Holiday Gathering! (More info and registration here.)

First up, in completely random order, but there is an A in her last name:

Diane Solvang-Angell

Why did you choose to submit your particular piece of art?I submitted "Turtle and the Fish" because it showed action, and it was one of my first creations in the iPad app called Paper 53 when I was just beginning iPad painting last spring. I love the image of turtles, and I just kept coming back to that painting whenever I reviewed sketchbook images.

What does being part of SCBWI mean to you?
There are several stories I’ve long cherished and meant to put into book form at some point. I have been a professional illustrator in advertising and editorial illustration, and this seemed like a natural next step—to meet the people doing children’s storybooks and gain some insight. Because of childhood picture books I wanted to be an artist. I eventually became one, so I think of this as a full-circle opportunity to give back.

What is your favorite picture book from childhood?
Now I am in trouble already, because it was Little Black Sambo. It now has a bad reputation because it was ripped off from the original Scottish author, who set the story in East India as an entertaining story for her children set in an exotic location. Later American ripoffs were illustrated with crude racial stereotypes, which contributed to Jim Crow prejudice. It is still my favorite childhood book, and my particular copy was illustrated in a gentle way. That's the reason I remember it so fondly––besides the fact that I loved the story—as well as for Sambo’s parents’ names: Mumbo and Jumbo.

Fun fact: Diane has authored a book on creativity from Cune Press. Learn more, and see more images, on STQRY here.

*excluding only those lazy bones or privacy freaks who don't answer our email questions, of course. We love them anyway.

No comments: