This comes from the super-useful blog of Kathy Temean:
1. Who is the readership for this book?
2. Does this story surprise me and take me to places I didn’t expect?
3. Is this a main character I care about?
4. Am I personally moved by this story or sitituation?
5. I this a theme/emotion/concern that a lot of kids will be able to relate to?
6. Has this been done a million times before?
7. Will I want to read this manuscript ten (or more) times?
8. Is the voice/character authentic and real?
9. For picture books: Would this story be visually interesteding for 32 pages? Could I esaily envision the illustrations for this?
10. For novels: Does the action of the story move at a good pace and hold our interest? Does tension build as the story moves forward?