This intimate, creativity-focused retreat—appropriate for both writers and illustrators—will give you a step back from the daily grind to examine the emotional and psychological drivers of your work and how to capitalize on them. Highlights include:
- Explore your creativity and jump-start your inner muse with our powerful Insight Book session, other creativity workshops, and specific NaNoWriMo support.
- Connect with other writers and illustrators to address your most pressing concerns in spontaneous, peer-led sessions
- Bring a picture book manuscript and work on laying it out in a dummy in IslandWood’s art studio.
- If you like, you can sign up to read your work to the group or exchange manuscript pages with a small group of peers.
- If none of that activity appeals, and all you need is time to create, bring your laptop or sketch pad, find a cozy spot, walk in the woods, or take advantage of our yoga studio.
IslandWood is just a 35-minute ferry ride from downtown Seattle. But while in the cozy buildings and quiet woods, you’ll feel like you’re a million miles away. The retreat comes complete with special IslandWood programs, including:
• Hiking trail maps
• Fireside programs with s’mores
• Instructor-led yoga ($25 fee additional)
Some of the best experiences come from small moments, like quiet conversations with friends, both known and new. We offer both single rooms and shared rooms (with one, or at most two, roommates). All rooms have private baths, plus access to cozy common areas ideal for chatting, relaxing, reading, critiquing, or creating.
|(We aren't using the top bunks -- unless you want one!)|
IslandWood is designed to provide access to all. If you require special accommodation, please let us know and we'll work to ensure your comfort. IslandWood specializes in accommodating dietary restrictions, too.
The retreat fees, which start at $525 for the whole weekend, include all programming, two nights’ accommodations, six delicious meals, and s’mores by the fire, and we can help arrange transportation from the ferry dock, too.