Saturday, March 26, 2011

2011 Conference Series- Faculty Q & A with Emily Jenkins (and a little bonus too!)

WooHoo! It's Saturday, and just 20 days from our
20th Annual Writing and Illustrating for Children Conference!
It's also time for another fabulous Faculty Q & A with one of our fabulous Faculty, and I'm delighted to share answers from Author Emily Jenkins! Emily is one of keynote speakers (you can check out her Chinook Update conference bio here).

What is the best and worst advice you were given when you started in children's literature?

Best: Subscribe to the SCBWI newsletter! (It was a newsletter only, back then.)
Worst: Well, not that many people were giving me advice. I would have liked some more advice.

As you know, those who are in children's literature tend to have lengthy discussions on the important topic of snacks (usually it's a baked good). What's your favorite snack?
Pumpkin bread

What are you most looking forward to about being part of the 2011 SCBWI faculty?
Giving back to an organization that helped me keep my spirits up and feel oriented in the business when I was just starting.

Attendees are often nervous to meet faculty at a conference. What, if anything, makes you nervous about being part of the faculty?
Critiques are always challenging for me. I want to be delicate with work that someone has spent hours and hours -- or even years -- working on; and yet, if I don't push and challenge the person, I am not being helpful. It's hard to find the best balance.

What do you like most about your job? What do you like least?
I like when I write a scene and it comes out good, and I'm not sure how that happened. I like seeing artwork for the first time. The business parts of my job I don't much like. I hate going to the post office and booking travel!

What do you most want our attendees to know about you?
I'm from Seattle!

Great answers from Emily (I love when authors and illustrators talk about how helpful SCBWI is for them)! And as a little bonus here's Emily's first EVER book trailer! She interviews Inkling from her new book INVISIBLE INKLING (it's super cute!). INVISIBLE INKLING comes out April 26. You can find out more about Emily, and here work on her website. Also, if you haven't gotten your name on the conference waiting list (registration is full), then go to our event website.

No comments: