Sunday, March 20, 2011

2011 Conference Series-Agent Faculty: Tina Wexler

It's a rainy Sunday, and I'm working on revising my manuscript. I'm also counting the days until our 20th Annual Writing and Illustrating for Children Conference! Registration is full, but you can still get your name on the waiting list! It's also a perfect time to introduce another of of our talented Agent Faculty; Tina Wexler! Tina is an agent with International Creative Management. Tina represents writers in both the children's and adult marketplace (with a focus on MG & YA). She was with the Ellen Levine Literary Agency, and the Karpfinger Agency before she joined ICM.

Here's a snippet from an Interview with Alice Pope on the SCBWI Team Blog (good advice for approaching an agent):
Would you offer some general advice on approaching agents?
First, do your research. I know it's tempting to query every agent you find info on--the old "throw it at the wall and see what sticks" approach--but doing so only results in slower response times and fewer agents responding to queries at all, which no one wants. So do yourself and your fellow writers (and agents) a favor and be selective. Second, be professional but know that I'm in this business because I love the written word, I love stories, and I really do want to hear from you if our interests overlap.
Here's a Q & A from Seanchai (Author Gretchen McNeil's blog).
Gretchen: "And speaking of authors you believe in, what catches your eye in an author submission, and conversely, what makes you run screaming from a query/submission?"

Tina: "I'm most drawn in by query letters that reflect an understanding of what I'm looking to represent (you'd be surprised how many queries I get for adult political thrillers and screenplays--neither of which I rep) and that mirror the tone of the manuscript. Consequently, I'm most apt to pass on, say, the humorous middle grade novel that comes across rather, um, humorless, or the YA query that promises "a sassy new voice" but reads like a grocery list--and not a SASSY grocery list! And of course, there are the usual suspects: the mass e-query, the "Dear Sir" salutation, the incoherent plot summary, the defensive, the antagonistic..."
Here's a wonderful Agent Spotlight post on Literary Rambles (which links to many other articles & interviews), and also a Q & A piece on the same website. Remember to visit our conference event website to get your name on the waiting list.

No comments: