Friday, December 20, 2013

Meet the artist #33

You can still see SCBWI WWA art at the Washington State Convention Center through Jan. 8, or check out the art and artists online here.
 

Tyler Parker

Why did you choose to submit this art?
This piece exemplifies so many of the things that I love about working in the youth market: It's fun, colorful, and based deeply in narrative. I don't really think of illustrating for children so much as drawing the things I like (be it pirates, superheroes, astronauts, or monsters). Also, I'm a huge proponent of being aware of the ways in which gender is portrayed in our industry, and I think that creating imagery that doesn't contribute to stereotypical portrayals is really important. Why does the princess want to marry a prince when she can go off and have her own adventures?

What does being part of SCBWI mean to you?
Being part of SCBWI is about knowing there are other people out there who care about the things I care about. It's a network of passionate people who want to help each other in a field that can often feel pretty competitive.

What is your favorite picture book from childhood?
When I was a kid, the two books my family read to me most were Giant John by Arnold Lobel and Dr. Seuss' One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish Blue Fish. The first book that I remember just outright blowing my mind was The Stinky Cheese Man by Jon Scieszka.

Fun fact: Tyler plays the ukelele. Learn more, and see more images, on STQRY here.

No comments: