Friday, November 2, 2012

What to read this fall? Suggestions wanted!

Let's hear it for Lynn Hooghiemstra, who bravely sought out fellow SCBWI-WWA-ers for reading advice this autumn in her blog.

She writes, "I'm very much in need of reading matter for fall. I've blogged about it but thought I'd ask my local SCBWI-ers for input as well. They can leave comments on my blog page or the Chinook page with book recommendations."

For her specific requirements in a riveting seasonal read, read on:





Fall Reading
Fall is by far my favorite time of the year. Not just for all the standard reasons; fall colors, colder weather, wool sweaters, fall foods, pumpkins. Aside from all those wonderful reasons it is also the time I read certain books. Most of the year I’m not that specific in matching my reading matter with the season, but for autumn, I’m particular.

As a caveat, I must say that I can only read War and Peace when it snows. Needless to say, with Seattle’s limited exposure to snow, it will be a few more years before I finish that tome.

But back to fall.
I can still vividly remember the fall storms raging outside on the October nights I read Wuthering Heights when I was in my teens.

I also have very fond memories of reading Dragon Rider with my son one lovely, soggy October some years back. And only a few short years ago I spent October and November - it was a thick book - deeply ensconced in Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell.

But this year I’m still looking for just the right book, that book that blends just the right ingredients into the story. While I search I’m keeping entertained with Terry Pratchett’s Feet of Clay, but it’s not quite meeting my autumnal reading requirements. Sigh.

The book I’m looking for has to be a little spooky, a little paranormal (I suppose that’s the right term), an exciting adventure, and must be well-written.

If you know of any such book, please let me know. It can be middle grade, YA or adult.

Happy Reading!

Thanks,

Lynn Hooghiemstra

No comments: